Saturday, July 15, 2017

Remember the Good parts of Writing when you are Editing

Lots of big things going on here. Just turned my MG manuscript to a real editor. ðŸ™‚ Expensive, but exciting!
While I wait to hear back which editor is a good match, I am diligently working on my YA Romance/Mystery, “Diving for Love.” I have alot of work to do after beta-readers just returned critiques back to me. Hundreds of things to fix, but I love this story. And the key part of getting critiquing is remembering your favorite parts while trudging through the mud of fixing the other problems. So as a treat to myself as I edit, and hopefully to my readers, here are some of my favorite lines from the chapter where my MC meets the love interest’s mom.
The door opened, and a lady dressed in a knee-length black dress and clickety hills peered out at me. Skinny as a fishing rod with short blonde hair that fell in waves around her shoulders. She was the perfect opposite of a modern housewife. Manicured nails that had probably never touched more than mineral bath water, hair that was completely in place, and clothes that never went on sale.
Her smile was spread tightly on her face, and I was sure I could have drawn it with a lip-liner pencil.
Mrs. Williams face straightened immediately and the fake smile came back. “Well aren’t you as cute as a bug.” Her sugary, sweet temperament set my teeth on edge, and I couldn’t help picturing myself in bug form, being squashed by her stiletto heels.
A few seconds after, the door swung open and I turned to see Mrs. Williams coming toward me, her green eyes flashing. She looked like a bull ready to attack, and I didn’t want to become aftermath on Sam’s front lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your own thoughts about this subject.

My Final Release of the Year!

Love From Left Field