Monday, August 14, 2017

Writing as an Outlet

There are alot of thoughts in my head, too many actually. It's overwhelming. I've always been the type of person that wants more than I can have, but won't stop trying until I get it to some degree.

Case and point-
I always wanted to be a BYU dancer. I saw them perform when I was very young and even though they did not have ballroom dancing in Georgia, I wanted more than anything to learn and be on a team one day. I was in tap, ballet, and jazz for most of my growing up years, but it was basically learn routines and perform in front of parents. Nothing too exciting.

In high school, I applied to BYU and BYU-Idaho. I had no doubt I would at least get into one. When my BYU rejection came, it was sad. Really sad. How could I become a BYU dancer if I wasn't AT BYU. When I received my BYU-I acceptance letter, my light started to shine a little brighter. I could still be a BYU-I dancer. And so I was. I had never taken a ballroom dance class in my life, but I had the heart of one, and by the end of my senior year, I had made the ballroom tour team. Guess where we toured that year....You guessed it. Stateside. Burly Idaho of all places. But I loved it. And I accomplished my seemingly impossible dream.

I also have dreams of becoming a novelist, a professional speaker, a principal. I'm a dreamer. But I am also a dream catcher and I try like the dickens to accomplish what I want.

Now, what does this have to do with an outlet? Yes, I have dreams to become a famous writer that makes a mark in the world for good. But I also want to write because it is an outlet of peace in relieving these swirling thoughts in my head. In that case, everyone is a writer. It bothers me when famous or seemingly famous according to some standards discourage young writers against writing because they don't want to fill them false hope that they will make it. Because most don't. But to me, writing should be done because it is a means of expressing yourself and not because you are sure it will take you places that others will want to see, too.

So if you've ever thought of writing and then thought of the mass amount of weight that statement carries, realize there are no expectations of writers to succeed. Only that you write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your own thoughts about this subject.

My Final Release of the Year!

Love From Left Field